Tuesday, March 29, 2011

ANOTHER FREAKING BLOG!

Ok, everyone and their mother decided to hop on this band-wagon and I guess at this point I am no exception. You see, the thing is, I never really had much to write about that was in blog format. I have written many horrible short stories and have started on no less then 5 novels but every time I become weary, I come back to reading my security blanket which is Stephen King's books.
For those of you that don't understand how a horror writer could be called a security blanket i can pretty much sum it up by dates. I was born in 1983. At that point my parents owned no less then 4 of his novels. By the time I was 5, my mother (who stayed home with us at the time) read me snips of his stories so we could determine literary devices used.
His work is honestly one of the most stable things in my life (if you can believe that) and even in the most scary or disappointing parts of his books, the style and use of descriptions really makes me a happy camper!
A little less then 4 years ago I started getting into his keystone work. (yes i used that word on purpose) I know I was late int eh game for the Dark Tower series but funny enough my parent's passion dwindled for his work and they never got farther then "In the eyes of the dragon". So my access to his books was kind of limited due to the fact that down here in the south the best book i could check out from the library was "Thinner"
With all that said, I started wondering if there was anyone out there that really took his amazing work seriously. His stuff is culturally referenced so much that some people don't even know the origins of it in common TV shows. Has anyone had the delightful privilege to become a Scholar of this great american writer? I really don't know, but from all my observations I feel like someone should at the very least talk about it!
What really got my mind cranking about this was this page where they show the books that he references in the Dark Tower series. It is incomplete. you can see from some of his earliest works the need to write this multidimensional western and it leaked into "Tommyknockers" by way of Bobby writing westerns. So you see? There's a lot more to discover then what everyone's been saying and a lot more connections and it's like all his books could be part of the same freaking series!
So! With all this in mind, I am going to take you through my journey of reading his books. All of them that i can find. i will do segments. Things like "leading ladies" where all his stream of consciousness female writing will be talked about then connections made not only to those ladies but also to his keystone work. Some segments may have multiple entries (probably an entry per book) and there will be spoilers but i will make sure to identify them so you can skip over them as not to crush your buzz.
All that Said, there's the goal and purpose of this and i hope i help or inspire people to read the most inspiring and diverse writer of our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment